We all realize China’s economic development is phenomenal, almost envious to the eyes of the rest of the developing world. But how much do we actually know about it? Here are 12 crazy facts according to Business Insider which we bet you didn’t know:
1. China’s GDP is 19,758 times greater than the island of Dominica but the two countries have roughly the same GDP per capita.
2. Chinese men smoke one-third of all the cigarettes in the world. China is one of the biggest consumers of tobacco globally and more than 275,900,000 Chinese adults use tobacco daily.
3. China’s instant noodle consumption could feed the entire European continent dinner for 52 days. China consumers went through 44.4 billion instant noodle packets in 2014.
4. China’s Shanghai Tower is roughly the same height as 319 Michael Jordan’s stacked on top of each other. The Shanghai Tower is the 2nd tallest building in the world at 2,073 ft.
5. China’s annual consumption of ice cream would fill 2,344 Olympic-sized swimming pools. China surpassed the US as the world’s number one ice cream consumer in 2014, consuming 5.86 billion liters.
6. A developer in China built a complete 57-story skyscraper in just 19 days last year. The building has 800 apartments and enough office space for 4,000 people.
7. 1 out of every 2 pigs are located in China. The average person eats 86 lbs (39 kg) of pork per year.
8. China only has 1 time zone and as a result, some parts of China experience unusual lighting. In northwestern China’s Urumqi, Xinjiangm people experience sunsets at midnight in the summer, and sunrises at 10 AM in the winter.